Hey Friends! Today I’m sharing DIY Topiaries Using Grapevine Wreaths! Recently my friend Emily Traxler from Le.Cultivateur Blog shared a fun DIY Angel Vine Topiary that I absolutely loved! Emily has such a beautiful feed on Instagram filled with the most beautiful vintage collections. Her styling is always on point and her blog…let’s just say… A-maaaaazing! I get so much inspiration from Emily so trying my hand at her DIY topiary was something I couldn’t wait to do!
Emily used and Angel Vine plant for her topiary. Angel Vine’s are perfect for topiaries with their delicate leaves and trailing vines. They wrap easily around structures and with a good amount of sun – they’re generally happy! I searched wide and far here in MA for Angel vine and could not find one. However, I did find some “leggy” ivy plants and rosemary plants, so I went with those instead.
*This post includes affiliate links, for more info on affiliate links visit here!
I had purchased soup tureens for an earlier spring project and already had potting soil on hand. All I needed was the grapevine wreaths. I found two 8″ grapevine wreaths for just $5.86 ea at Joann’s Stores. (They are less expensive online at www.joann.com)
For tools I used a hand shovel, flocked wire, wire cutters and floral string. I also grabbed some stones from our fit pit area to put on the bottom of the tureen. I do this because the tureen does not have any drain holes and the stones keep the roots from sitting in extra water on the bottom of the tureen. They do not appreciate that!
After the stones were in I added some potting soil and then water. After I took four ivy plants (ea in 4″ pots) and made sure to use the two with the longest “legs” for the sides. These longer pieces were to be wrapped around the wreath.
Once the four ivy plants were planted I took the grapevine wreath and nestled it in the soil avoiding the Ivy as much as possible. To make the wreath stand on its side, I took some flocked wire, cut it in half and then made a u – shape. I then secured the wreath by pushing the u – shaped wire over the bottom of the wreath. I did this in 3 places. (see photo below)
Once the wreath was secure I simply weaved the Ivy around the wreath. For this IVY topiary I did not need to use the floral string as the Ivy easily wrapped around the wreath without the extra support.
Ivy topiary done! I cant wait to watch it grow and continue to weave around the wreath. I then moved on to the rosemary topiary and followed the same steps. The rosemary was a little stiffer and harder to work with. I did end up using the floral string to wrap the rosemary around the wreath. I tried to go as loose as I could because I’m guessing the rosemary is not going to be too happy with this set up! (They are so finicky!)
I ended up covering the soil with sheet moss to give it a more finished look. Now if I can only keep it alive – my rosemary track record to date has not been too good!
Such a fun and inexpensive project! A very special thanks to Emily over at Le.Cultivateur Blog for all the inspiration!
Thank you for visiting the blog today! It was fun showing you my DIY Topiaries Using Grapevine Wreaths!