This scrumptious recipe is a family favorite! Full disclosure…it is also the most requested recipe from my Mom, sisters and kids – time and time again! So sharing on the blog is well…a bit self serving:) this way I can just send the blog link when they ask for the recipe, instead of writing out the recipe again. This Zucchini and Yellow Squash Casserole recipe has also been requested by friends on Instagram – So…it is time to make this family favorite official!
What You Will Need to Make this Recipe:
- Zucchini and Yellow Squash – (But you already knew that!) I have made this recipe with zucchini only and its just as delicious. I remember as kid my dad would grow zucchini in his garden and let’s just say his garden yielded way more zucchini than my mom could use! This recipe is perfect for an over abundance of garden zucchini so don’t be afraid to drop the yellow squash. It will be hardly missed, promise!
- Sour Cream – I’m a full fat sour cream girl so that is what I use. I prefer the taste and consistency. However, for the calorie counters out there give low fat of fat free a try.
- Cream of Celery Soup – I use good ole Campbell’s cream of celery soup. In a pinch I have replaced the cream of celery soup with cream of mushroom which worked well too.
- Cheese – Pre-packaged shredded cheddar cheese or cheddar cheese mix works well for this recipe. You may also grate your own cheddar cheese.
- Stuffing – Packaged Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing is my go to for this recipe.
- Butter – Lots of butter!! 2 whole sticks – yikes! But oh so yummy!
Tools for Making Zucchini and Yellow Squash Casserole:
How to Make Zucchini and Yellow Squash Casserole:
In just a few quick steps you can have this delicious hearty casserole in the oven! I typically make it during the summer when squash is abundant however my mother in law requested it for Thanksgiving and so its season has been expanded! In the summer I love to serve it with another favorite summer side my 5 ingredient pasta salad.
- First step is to prepare the Zucchini and Yellow squash. Start by washing them with cold water and then slice off the ends (the stem and the blossom). After slice them into 1/2″ rounds.
- The zucchini and squash then gets steamed. not to a state of mushiness, just until the centers become opaque (i.e. shiney and transparent)
- Once steamed and drained place zucchini and squash in a baking dish and toss with cheese. This cheese will start to melt.
- Combine the sour cream and soup and added to the steamed zucchini and squash.
- Add the melted the butter to the stuffing and spread on the top of the casserole. The butter (along with covering with tin foil) keeps the stuffing moist. The butter also makes its way down into the casserole for some extra yumminess!
Still Swimming in an Abundance of Zucchini? Here are Few Other Recipes to Try:
Zucchini Noddles with Parsley Pesto
Roasted Zucchini with Pesto and Parmesan
Zucchini Fun Facts:
- Zucchini is actually a fruit not a vegetable! I know right?? and to further blow your mind it is considered a BERRY! It turns out all squash are part of the plant family cucurbita pepo, which defines these fruits as a “fleshy one-celled many-seeded berry, that has a hard rind and is the characteristic fruit of the gourd family.” How crazy is that?
- With just a few steps you can freeze sliced or shredded zucchini. Just before to wash the zucchini first and if slicing it’s a good idea to blanch them before placing them in a freezer bag. Blanching them keeps them from getting mushy. Frozen zucchini will last for 3-4 months.
- The term “Summer Squash” is used to describe 10 different varieties of squash including zucchini and yellow squash. I have always used yellow squash and summer squash interchangeably, you too? The summer Squash family consists of Zucchini, Chayote Squash, Cousa Squash,Yellow Zucchini, Luffa Squash, Yellow Squash, Yellow Crookneck Squash, Pattypan Squash, Round Zucchini and Zephyr Squash. Phew!
Zucchini and Yellow Squash Casserole
- 10 small zucchini and yellow squash
- 1 can cream of celery soup (10.5 oz)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 pkg Pepperidge farm herb stuffing (8 oz)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 sticks butter
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Wash the zucchini and yellow squash in cold water, then dry. Slice off the ends (stem and blossom) of each zucchini and squash and discard. Slice the remaining zucchini and squash into 1/2" rounds.
- Fill large stock pot with 3"of water.
- Place an expandable steamer basket in Stock pot. The water line should be below the steamer basket.
- Place zucchini and squash rounds in the steam basket.
- Cover the pot and steam zucchini and squash for 10 minutes. You will see the centers begin to turn opaque (shiny and transparent).
- After the zucchini and squash are steamed strain them in a colander.
- Place the steamed zucchini and squash in a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Sprinkle the shedded cheese over the zucchini and squash and toss gently. You will see the cheese begin to melt over the hot zucchini and squash.
- In a separate bowl mix together the cream of celery soup and the sour cream.
- Add the soup and sour cream mixture to the zucchini and squash, stir to coat the vegetables.
- In the microwave or on the stove top melt the butter.
- Place the dry stuffing in a large bowl and add the butter. Toss to mix.
- Spread the stuffing mixture over the top of the casserole.
- Cover with tin foil and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the tin foil and leave in the oven for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven and serve hot.
Pin this Recipe for Later:
Thank you for visiting the blog today for this much loved Zucchini and Yellow Squash Casserole! If you try it please let me know what you think!
Looks so delicious!
Thank you Kalyn!