Fish is a great staple for a keto diet and this cod recipe with herb crumb top recipe is both simple to make and delicious. I used cod fillets for this recipe however any white fish will do. Fish is nutritious and healthy and most are particularly high in b vitamins (B12), iodine, and omega-3 fatty acids. Like meat, almost all types of fish and seafood pack lots of protein and contain next to no carbs – making this keto fish recipe with herb crumb topping perfect for a healthy low-carb diet.
This recipe is adapted from a recipe I used to make long ago using regular breadcrumbs. I wanted to bring this dish as close to zero carbs as possible while keeping the flavor. It is often recommended to keep your daily carb count 20g or below on a traditional keto diet. With this fish being just 0.8g of carbs per serving you are open to adding lots of healthy low-carb vegetables and fats to your dinner.
So I know you are wondering – how to make a crumb top without bread crumbs. Ground pork rinds of course! (with the help of some tasty herbs and spices!) Pork rinds are made of pigs skin and pigs skin has zero carbs. Pork rinds themselves do not have a lot of flavors but what they do have is a dried, crunchy texture that can easily be ground to mimic breadcrumbs. In fact, pork rinds are my secret ingredient for keto meatballs, keto meatloaf, and keto salmon cakes as well.
What you’ll love about this Recipe
- Versatility: While this recipe is made with cod fillet you can use any type of white fish you like.
- Ease: Simple ingredients and a few easy steps make for a quick dinner.
- Flavor: The true winner of this recipe is the wonderful and flavorful tarragon. This herb mixed with melted butter is simply delightful!
- Almost zero carbs: Keeping carbs below 20g’s per day can be challenging! This fish recipe delivers taste without putting a major dent in your daily carb allowances.
- Suggested keto side dishes: Creamy Keto-friendly Brussel Sprouts and bacon or Roasted Zucchini with Pesto and Parmesan.
Suggested Keto Side Dishes to Pair with this Recipe
- Creamy Keto-friendly Brussel Sprouts and bacon
- Roasted Zucchini with Pesto and Parmesan
- Zucchini Noodles with Parsley Pesto
How to make Keto Fish Recipe With Herb Crumb Topping
- Prep – Rinse and dry the cod fillet with a paper towel. Place fillet on a baking sheet. place pork rinds in a Ziploc bag and with a meat tenderizer pound the pork rind into crumbs.
- Topping – Top the fish filet with zero carb dijon mustard, then mix the pork rind crumbs, melted butter, lemon zest, and Tarragon to make the crumb topping for the fish.
- Bake – In the oven for 12 minutes!
Tools for making this Keto Fish Recipe With Herb Crumb Topping
Variations and Special Considerations
Keto-friendly add-ins: Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, garlic (either fresh or powder), black pepper, old bay seasoning, or other herbs.
Pork rind crumb options: You may grind your pork rinds in a food processor or even a coffee grinder(minus the coffee!) If you prefer can also purchase ground pork rind crumbs already ground.
Frequently asked questions
For a healthy keto meal serve this fish with zucchini fries, green beans, cauliflower rice or jicama fries, or other keto-friendly vegetables.
If you are using a meat/fish thermometer you want to cook the cod to the internal temperature of 145 degrees.
Yes, there are many healthy fats options. You can use olive oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil to achieve the golden crumb topping.
Yes, you can swap out the mustard for mayonnaise.
You can serve with lemon wedges or keto-friendly tartar sauce.
You could mix parmesan cheese with either almond meal or coconut flour. Both are a great binding agents for keto dishes.
Store leftover fish in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.
Keto Fish Recipe with Herb Crumb Topping
- 16 oz cod fillet
- 2 tsp dried tarragon (or fresh herb)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 4 oz pork rinds – plain
- 1 tbsp organic dijon mustard
- 1 lemon wedges to serve
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Arrange the pieces of fish in baking tray and spread mustard on the top of the fish.
- Place pork rinds in a ziploc bag, seal and pound to crumbs. Pork rinds should look like bread crumbs.
- Zest lemon and place in small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt butter in small dish. Combine pork rind crumbs, butter, lemon zest and tarragon to make the crumb mixture.
- Cover fish with crumb topping over the mustard.
- Bake in oven for 12 minutes or until done. If using a meat/fish thermometer cook until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees. Cooking time may vary.
Pin it for later
Thank you for visiting the blog today for this Keto Fish Recipe with Herb Crumb Topping. You will find that this great recipe made from simple ingredients will be the perfect keto dish for your dinner rotation! Be sure to check out my Panera copycat keto tomato soup recipe!
I can hardly wait to try this meal! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you Christine! Enjoy!