You don’t have to spend a lot to achieve a magazine-worthy, beautiful, dreamy, romantic french country-style bedroom. In this French country bedding ideas from Amazon post, I take you through the essentials to get that French country look you’ve been dreaming about as well as resources for bedding – all from Amazon!
What do YOU think of when you think of french country bedding? My mind immediately goes to beautiful linens, flowy bed skirts, toile or delicate floral coverlets, and dreamy throw pillows. A french bedroom has the type of bedding that is so inviting you cannot wait to dive in to relax, sleep or just read a book.
What is French Country Décor?
The French Country style emerged from a rustic take on furnishings that were popular with the 18th-century courts of Kings Louis the XIII, XVI, XV, and XIV. Today’s French country décor is both relaxed and elegant. It is often an eclectic mismatched collection of fabrics and furniture that creates a space that is full of charm. The look is usually understated yet refined and is often referred to as shabby chic or English cottage style. Antique chandeliers, vintage pieces, and chippy furniture are often seen as flowy, layered bedding that is often a mixture of beautiful fabrics and patterns.
Incorporating French Country Decor in Our Home
Our master bedroom is currently undergoing some updates (yay!) so I’m sharing our recently completed guest bedroom. This bedroom is about as budget-friendly as it gets starting with this bed I found on the Facebook marketplace for free. It was in perfect shape and just needed a fresh coat of white paint. For this bed frame, the nightstand bases, the dresser turned apothecary linen cabinet and the fireplace mantel I used Dixie Belle Chalk paint in the color “Cotton”. Cotton is a clean fresh white and I’m really enjoying working with Dixie Belle Chalk paint. The coverage is fabulous and it goes on so smoothly.
The DIY Apothecary with hutch cost just $209.75 to make. We had the dresser and purchased the hutch top on the Facebook Marketplace for just $60. Check out my DIY Apothecary with hutch blog post for all the details on this project.
We also added this mantel that was given to us by a friend. We purchased the fireplace insert and built it into the wall. I added some peel and stick faux brick wallpaper around the fireplace insert which also kept the cost down. This mantel adds some extra charm and warmth, especially during the winter months. I love how it turned out!
Bedroom French Country Look Essentials
- Duvet covers and coverlets – Comfy and cozy is the name of the game and nothing makes a bed more inviting than a puffy duvet cover fold down to reveal beautiful sheets or choose a sweet coverlet with soft floral patterns. Chenille is beautiful as is a pretty matelasse-style bedspread. Scalloped edges are a bonus!
- Sheets – Soft but crisp for maximum comfort. Choose styles with beautiful embroidery edging, oversized ruffles, or a pretty floral pattern that compliments your duvet or coverlet.
- Pillow shams – One of the hallmarks of a french country look is a bed full of layers of pillows in beautiful fabrics. Pillow shams are perfect for bringing in patterns or textures to your french country ensemble.
- Flowy bed skirt – oversized with a lot of folds and pleats for a romantic look! You could also go with a pretty ticking stripe, floral pattern, or embroidered bed skirt.
- French style throw pillows and blankets – Comfy and cozy is the name of the game and nothing makes a bed more inviting than pillows and cozy blankets!
- Eclectic vintage pieces – Iron bed frame, canopy bed, or an upholstered headboard. Vintage dressers, unique and perhaps even unmatched bedside tables, end of bed upholstered benches, and vintage stools with a distressed look.
- Vintage chandelier and bedside table lamps – Hang a chandelier over your bed or drop a couple from the ceiling over your bedside tables. Choose candlestick table lamps with or without crystals.
- Vintage artwork and mirrors – Shop antique stores or thrift shops for unique vintage artwork. Beautiful botanical prints or a scene in the french countryside. For mirrors choose a chippy white frame of a gold mirror for a touch of elegance.
- Window treatments – Beautiful sheers or soft cotton fabric panels.
- Fresh flowers – Of course! Add a small vase of peonies, roses, or lilacs to your bedside table to complete the look.
Bringing French Country Decor to your Bedroom
The first step is to consider what existing furniture, rugs, and wall coverings you have. This will help you choose your color palettes. If the room has white walls and a neutral rug then your options are endless! Have a busy floral wallpaper? You may want to limit the number of patterns you choose for your bedding. If your rug is blue, you will want to work with that. etc. Start with what you have!
I’ve included a few bedding options to help you create a french country bedroom for less.
Shop bedding here, collections by color below.
*This post includes affiliate links, for more info on affiliate links visit here
Grey and white bedding collection:
Pink and ivory bedding collection:
Off White and Red bedding collection:
Blue and white bedding collection:
Spring Green and white bedding collection:
Mint green and white bedding collection:
Pin it for Later
Choosing the right bedding is a great way to bring a French country look to your bedroom! Thank you for visiting the blog today for French country bedding ideas from Amazon!
Can you tell me the name and brand of paint on the walls in the photo of your mantel redesign? I love it!
Hi Kathleen, I am 90% sure it was SW Repose Gray. I did not write it down and I used it all! But check out Repose gray- it’s a beautiful soft warm gray.