Even if you are not a fan of brussel sprouts this delicious recipe with its creamy cheese sauce and crispy bacon may change the way you feel about this healthy vegetable! In fact brussel sprouts (the correct spelling is actually Brussels sprouts) are one of our favorite vegetables and a perfect choice for a keto diet. We have them often and prepare them in many ways! In today’s creamy keto-friendly brussel sprouts with bacon post I’m sharing one of our favorite ways to cook them.
Are Brussel Sprouts a Healthy Choice for a Keto Diet?
Brussels Sprouts, like cabbage are part of the brassica family and most, if not all in this tasty vegetable family are great low carb options for those who follow a keto way of life. One cup of cooked brussels sprouts has just 8 grams of carbohydrates with 3.3 grams of fiber. Many keto folks subtract the fiber from the carb count to come up with the net carb figure. (total carb – fiber = NET carbs ) This means for those who count NET carbs, 1 cup of brussels sprouts has just 4.7 net carbs that count toward the common daily goal of under 20 g of carbs.. Brussels sprouts are high in many important nutrients including vitamin K and vitamin C. In addition, their high antioxidant content is known to reduce oxidative stress and help lower your risk of chronic diseases. The nutritious benefits of brussels sprouts are many making them a healthy side dish and their low carb count makes them the perfect addition to your keto dinner.
Ingredients for this Recipe
Fresh brussel sprouts: We prefer the smaller brussel sprouts when available. Having said that the larger ones work just fine for this recipe. Try to choose brussel sprouts that are similar in size for even cooking.
Heavy cream: Keto is about reducing carbs while prioritizing fats. Cream has a higher fat count than milk and is lower in carbs making it a better choice for this keto-friendly dish. The creaminess is also what makes this dish so hearty.
Bacon: Bacon is both high in fat and low in carbs, perfect! Bacon also offers great flavor to this dish.
Mixed Italian cheeses: A variety of cheeses offers exceptional flavor to this side dish. You can grate your own or a mixed Italian package is also a good choice. The Italian blend I use includes parmesan, mozzarella, provolone, romano, fontina and asiago cheese. These premixed, pre-shredded packages typically include 2 cups of cheese which is exactly what this recipe calls for.
Parmesan cheese: A fresh sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese adds a nice crispy, golden brown topping.
Tools for making this Keto-friendly Recipe
*This post includes affiliate links, for more info on affiliate links visit here
How to make Creamy Keto-friendly Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- Fry batches of bacon in a 12″ a cast iron skillet until slightly crispy. Line a plate with paper towels and using a slotted spoon transfer each cooked batch to the plate. Once the bacon is done, chopped the bacon into bite-sized pieces and set aside. Be sure to leave the bacon grease in the pan.
- Remove ends of the sprouts and then cut them in 1/2 lengthwise. Larger sprouts can be quartered. Pour the sprouts into the hot bacon grease to saute until they are golden tender brussel sprouts.
- Add the chopped bacon back in and then the cream, let simmer over medium heat. Add salt and pepper.
- Next add the cheese blend and stir. Top with grated parmesan, then bake.
You will also love these other keto recipes:
Substitutions and Special Considerations
Baking dish options: For the longest time I baked this recipe in a casserole dish. Recently I’ve been using cast iron skillets for an easier one-pan dish. You can use any oven-safe skillet for this recipe – just make sure it is a large skillet.
Texture and flavor: For a creamier texture you may add cream cheese to the cream sauce. Many brussel sprouts and bacon casserole recipes add garlic for extra flavor.
Bacon grease alternatives: If cooking in bacon fat makes you queezy, after the bacon is done you can discard the bacon grease and add either olive oil or butter to cook the brussel sprouts.
Topping: Try cooking 2 pieces of crisp bacon then chop to make your own bacon bits. Add these bits to the parmesan cheese for an extra crispy topping. Yum!
Tips for Storing and Reheating this Recipe
- Storage: If there are any brussel sprouts left, let cool to room temperature and store in an airtight container. Place in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheating in the oven: Place this brussel sprout casserole in an oven safe casserole dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover dish with tin foil and heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Reheating in the microwave: Transfer a serving to a microwave safe plate or bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Add more time as needed.
Creamy Keto-friendly Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- 2 lbs fresh brussels sprouts ( stems removed and cut in half)
- 1 lb bacon
- 2 cups heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups prepackaged mixed Italian blend cheese (parmesan, mozzarella, asiago, provolone, romano, fontina)
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Fry the bacon in a 12" cast iron skillet (or other oven safe skillet) over medium heat until semi-crispy. Using a slotted spoon or tongs remove bacon to a plate lined with a paper towel. Once cool enough to touch cut into bite-sized pieces and set aside. Leave the bacon fat in the skillet.
- Add the brussels sprouts to the skillet with the bacon grease and saute until the sprouts start to soften and brown. (approx 6-8 Minutes)
- Add the cut up bacon in with the brussels sprouts and pour in the cream, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Next stir in the Italian cheese blend. Keep stirring until the cheese is melting and the sauce is starting to thicken. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Top with shredded or grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 25 minutes.
Pin it for later:
I hope you enjoyed this Creamy Keto-friendly Brussel Sprouts with Bacon recipe. If you try this easy side dish please let me know what you think in the comment section below. I look forward to sharing more delicious ways to enjoy your Ketogenic lifestyle so stay tuned!